- Starbucks seeks to reduce its environmental impact as part of its multi-decade aspiration of becoming a resource positive company.
- With this initiative, the Dominican Republic becomes the first Starbucks market in the Caribbean to showcase a store with a solar panel roof.
SANTO DOMINGO - Starbucks, in partnership with Green Star Partners, the operating licensee of the brand in the Dominican Republic, announced with great enthusiasm the installation of solar panels on the roof of its store located at Acrópolis Shopping Center, in Santo Domingo. This initiative builds on the company’s global goal to reduce energy consumption as it aspires to become a resource positive company.
As Starbucks celebrates its 50th anniversary this year and looks towards a resource positive future, the company aims to give back more than it takes from the planet. This commitment includes reducing carbon, water and waste impacts by 50% by 2030. As part of these aspirations, Starbucks is incorporating a new set of performance-based standards in store design, building upon its Greener Stores program that is designed to provide innovative solutions for Starbucks stores and to inspire others to design, build and operate portfolios of buildings that increase efficiency and minimize environmental impacts.
“Starbucks sustainability journey in Latin America and the Caribbean began more than 20 years ago when the company arrived in the region. Since then, Starbucks has dedicated itself to striving for a sustainable future for all. It is an honor for us to continue this commitment and journey in the Dominican Republic, becoming the first Starbucks market in the Caribbean to showcase a store with a solar panel roof,” said José Luis Gómez, General Manager of Starbucks in the Dominican Republic.
The installation system used in this Starbucks store allows the honeycombs to serve as roof of the store, optimizing the generation of electrical energy, while also ease the circulation of daylight, which is a great benefit for its use on terraces, as it is the case of this café.
Opening more eco-friendly store locations in the Dominican Republic builds on Starbucks legacy of developing and implementing holistic and scalable green building and operations. Starbucks with Green Star Partners will continue to invest in greener retail operations in the market and empower partners to engage in sustainable actions at each of their stores.
To contribute to Starbucks' global aspiration to give more than it takes from the planet, the Latin America and Caribbean region continues to fulfill these commitments, improving its regional sustainability strategy in the 21 markets in which it operates. In the Dominican Republic, these are focused on:
- Sustainable packaging: Since February 2021, customers in the market can enjoy their favorite Starbucks cold beverages with strawless lids, which are also recyclable. Also, for Frappuccino® Blended Beverages, the company offers paper straws in order to reduce plastic waste.
- Reusable: Since March 2021, following a temporary pause, out of an abundance of caution, Dominican customers are welcome to bring their own reusable cups, beverages served in reusable cups are offered at a discount price in order to drive the use of reusable serveware reducing waste. This initiative comes after ensuring that our stores can continue operating in a safe and convenient manner that follows local health and government guidelines.
- Dairy-free options: Since its opening in May 2020, Starbucks in the Dominican Republic has offered soy, almond and coconut milk, with plans to expand alternative milk options later this year.
- Greener Stores: Invest in and develop greener stores.
The solar panels installed at the Acrópolis Shopping Center café in Santo Domingo, build on Starbucks commitment to sourcing renewable energy as the company continues to use its scale to drive innovation across the renewable energy sector.
For nearly 50 years, Starbucks has been a company focused on caring for our partners, creating uplifting experiences for our customers and playing a positive role in our communities and throughout society. Together, we will continue moving forward to elevate our mission to inspire and nurture the human spirit one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
About Green Star Partners
Green Star Partners is a strategic alliance created between Grupo Pais, Caribbean Cinemas and Punta Espada. Combining decades of national and international experience in sectors such as food, beverage and retail. Since May 2020 the conglomerate Green Star Partners operates and expands the Starbucks brand in the Dominican Republic.