Starbucks Chile Recognized for Advancements in LGBTQIA+ Inclusion
Starbucks wins the Fundación Iguales “International Company Award” at the nonprofit organization’s Night for Equality event – an annual celebration honoring individuals and institutions dedicated to promoting LGBTQIA+ inclusion in Chile.
Santiago, Chile - Fundación Iguales recognized Starbucks Chile for its progress in creating an inclusive work environment at its 7th annual Night for Equality event on January 12, 2023, where Starbucks won the “International Company Award.”
Fundación Iguales is a Chilean nonprofit organization that promotes respect for human rights. Through its Night for Equality event, organized by Pride Connection – an arm of Fundación Iguales focused on workplace inclusion – the organization seeks to recognize those building a more inclusive community in Chile. Night for Equality award categories included Public Figure, Media Outlet, National Company, and International Company.
"We are honored to be recognized as a leading international company for LGBTQIA+ inclusion in Chile – a recognition that underscores Starbucks efforts to create environments where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging,” said Claudia Aburto, Starbucks South Cone’s brand director. “As a company that prioritizes inclusion & diversity, we are proud of the hard work behind this award to positively impact the daily lives of our partners, their families, our customers and the community at large, and are grateful to organizations such as Fundación Iguales that work closely with companies to make workplace policies more inclusive.”
The award is a reflection of Starbucks Chile’s efforts to promote LGBTQIA+ inclusion in 2022, including:
- Gender-neutral Restroom Signage – Starbucks Chile implemented gender-neutral restroom signage in all Starbucks Chile stores to create greater inclusion.
- Ads for Good – A traveling exhibition of creative pieces made by advertising students from Chile, Argentina and Uruguay, Starbucks Ads for Good program invited community members to reflect on inclusion and diversity topics, addressing them as a relevant social challenge for the community.
- Pride Connection Mentoring Program – Starbucks Chile was certified on January 5, 2023, by Pride Connection as a mentor company. This certification is awarded to companies that demonstrate mentoring, guidance, and advice to other organizations regarding inclusion & diversity topics, specifically regarding the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Fundación Selenna Partnership – In an alliance with Fundación Selenna – Chile’s only school for transgender students – Starbucks launched the “Academy of the Future” program whereby Starbucks Chile partners (employees) engaged with future college graduates around career exploration and financial independence. Through a Global Community Impact Grant from The Starbucks Foundation, Fundación Selenna is working to provide 250 transgender youth with training, resources and a welcoming space for positive engagement and inclusive communities.
- Training Programs – Starbucks Chile initiated a series of monthly training programs to foster a culture of inclusion and a collaborative work environment amongst partners (employees).
Earlier in 2022, Starbucks Chile was recognized by Human Rights Campaign Foundation, via their Equidad CL certification, for its commitment to equality by adopting crucial LGBTQ+-inclusive policies and practices for its partners (employees).
For more information on Starbucks commitment to LGBTQIA+ inclusion & diversity, please visit Timeline: Starbucks History of LGBTQIA+ Inclusion.